Sunday, August 15, 2010

alive and lovin' it

May 26, 2010

Ah, sorry about the silence.
I haven’t really had time on an actual computer since I got back form SA. Well, ok, I could’ve made time and spent the money, but there was just too much going on. I think I said this already, but I’ve really enjoyed just being in the moment since I’ve been here. Haven’t been thinking about what I want to say to the masses. I think some volunteers are blogging on their phones but I haven’t felt into that yet. Also now that I’ve waited so long, figured I’d write a long post. Maybe later I’ll post more often via phone. I can check email really easily so I’ll respond, eventually, if you email. Right now I’m typing this on my ipod in my hut. My hope is that I’ll be able to get it on my laptop and then the internet. So if you’re reading this then great! That means it’s not still trapped on my ipod.
Geez there are so many stories now. Where to start? First of all, I love it here. Loving every minute. Well, pretty close anyway. And the 30 mins or so here and there that are stressful, uncomfortable or crazy usually make really good stories later. And there are so many great things, it takes no time to remember and bounce back. J Hmm, I’ll save those crazy stories for later and only tell about how happy I am. And this won’t really tell much about what I’m actually doing or what it’s like here. But maybe in another post. Or if you’re reading my dad’s blog maybe you’re getting that. (I’m not reading it myself).
There are so many things everyday that confirm that I am absolutely supposed to be right here, right no, in THIS village in Zambia, at this time in my life. God put me right here. Still don’t know what the heck I’ll do after, but I feel like I was made for this. I just fit. I know it’s all still new and exciting and I’ll probably have frustrating times, but I’m really pumped for the next 2 years.
Ok, I’ll try to list some examples of why I love it:
I love alone time. I love time to think and process everything. I’m journaling more regularly that I ever have before.
I never get bored. Maybe it’s just my personality. There’s always so many things I could be doing: Reading ag stuff for working, making a dent in my general reading list, journaling, writing letters, attempting to cook, walking to the cell network spot to check email/text, sweeping my dirt floor, laundry in buckets, hauling water, studying language, talking to people about America or anything, actually working on my PC paperwork, designing chitenge clothes in my head while sitting with people taking when I can’t understand, just sitting…see what I mean.
I love the weather. It’s sunny and beautiful everyday now that it’s dry season and it’s not too cold for me at night, not yet anyway. I love the clouds, the sunset behind the trees, twilight, and the full moon.
My village is perfect for me. They’re really excited to learn so many things, most of which I actually know about. It’s really good that they’re so gung-ho because I’m maybe a little too content to just sit and read books. They really motivate me to work for them. So many people want to know me and be my friends that someone comes to see me or takes me to do something everyday.
My village/host family take really good care of me. Maybe the secret to my happiness is that I’m spoiled… They heat my bath water. I eat dinner with them so I hardly cook. (hey, I will, I’m just taking it slow) My pit latrine is built up like a toilet instead of just a hole. That’s actually the key to my happiness. Squatting kills my knees. (sorry if that doesn’t make sense. Pictures someday.)
It’s beautiful here. Hills, trees, little rivers, a small waterfall which supposedly has monkeys, wildflowers, I already said clouds, and super cute kids everywhere I turn.
My fellow PCV friends are so so great. I seem to do well in groups where no one knows anyone when we start and we’re instant friends because we’re thrown together. (study abroad, internships, even sorority) and people who decide to join the peace corps are generally pretty awesome. :)
I love to dance. So do Zambians. And my PCV friends.
I really enjoy Zam-pop.
I like Obama. (so do Zambians. A future post someday on the plethora of Obama merchandise)
I’m a Christian. So are 90% of Zambians/100% of Zambians I’ve met so far. Most Peace Corps Volunteers are not. Zambians frequently ask what church you go to or if you are a Christian. I get to enjoy at least a little bond and understanding there, while many other people are always having to explain why they don’t go to church/pray. (Sorry future volunteer that will replace me if you don’t want to go to church. I’ll try to explain before I leave and you come.)
I’m a Christian. I’m trusting, thanking and praising God all the time here.
I’m here for the whole experience, I don’t have a narrow agenda that might not get fulfilled. I love just getting to live in rural Africa. Visiting me would be my dream trip. Guess that means I’m living the dream. :)

(Aug. 6, 2010:
Glad I typed that when I did. It’s all still true but there were lots of days I wouldn‘t gave written the same post. Had to retype it, from the ipod, but didn’t change it, to preserve how I felt then.)

No comments: