Monday, October 22, 2012

Limo limo ndefwaya kubwela ku Amelika pantu kuli amareasons aya:

Reasons why sometimes I want to move back to America:

Bowling
NPR
Halloween

well, those are the top 3. Of equal importance.

Also,

  • constant electricity and internet
  • independent movies (=Ragtag and equivalent theaters)
  • theatre
  • museums
  • nice cafes and coffee shops
  • sandwiches. turkey sandwiches.
  • church and a church community
  • a bible study/small group
(yes, I realize I thought of sandwiches before Jesus. That's the ugly truth. Also true that I would MUCH rather have a church community than turkey sandwiches.)
  • phone calls. phone calls where you don't have to worry about your talktime running out.
  • Pickles. dill pickles. 


Reasons I do NOT want to move back to America:
#1. WINTER
others:

  • People constantly on their iphones even while in groups with whom they ought to be interacting
  • Everyone has babies
  • I can go running outside virtually every day of the year in Zambia and find it quite pleasant, or at the least, totally bearable
  • No one speaks Bemba
  • Seriously the weather is really nice most of the time here. Especially if you don't have to worry about biking/hitching in it. The cold part is so short I forget about it so quickly. 
  • Oh, you can't hitch hike in America
  • people are so busy all the time (slow down)
#1.1 I would have to find something to do in America/maybe make a life decision. (yikes!)
  • I'd be just like everyone else. (ok, not really. but kinda)
  • No more market shopping, ridiculous daily experiences, or people who will drop whatever they're doing to help you


But seriously, I really wanna go bowling. I watched The Big Lebowski for the first time recently (hilarious! I been missin out). Gave me a serious hankerin for some bowlin. No bowling alley in Zambia. I heard there used to be one. Can't justify a trip to South Africa just for bowling, though.

And I really miss Halloween. 3 years of lame Halloweens, 2 without any costume or celebration at all (including this one). I didn't even try to think of a Halloween costume this year. That makes me sad. I love Halloween, and costumes.

Sorta surprised at myself that I just wrote this. I guess that's what I need to blog: plenty of internet access (the power is on late tonight) and a lack of friends. Truth tellin' today.

(but never the whole truth...)

Or maybe I just like to share ridiculous things. Like how NPR and pickles make me think moving back to America sounds good.

1 comment:

Dad said...

Mom and I have got to drum up costumes for the church Halloween party Wednesday. Sophie Robins-Boone has the best idea sewn up. She's going as the pastor, Missy Rose. I could have done that, but I gave our wig to Sophie.