Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Love from Philly

Today is officially my first day in the Peace Corps! I got to Philadelphia yesterday afternoon after a last minute change in flight plans. The short version: bad weather led to an earlier flight and leaving Kennett at 6am. Procrastination led to an all-nighter to finish packing. But that's how I roll.

Since I got to Philly early (PC registration was at 6pm), and hadn't met anyone yet or eaten all day and didn't want to walk outside in the snow, I treated myself to a lovely dinner at the hotel restaurant. I enjoyed the last alone time I likely have for a while and got some journaling done. And I wasn't quite up for being in make new friends mode yet. But food and an exicted group of 50 future PCVs got me pumped up. We just did some paperwork last night, and then I found a few new friends to go out with for a while. That got me really excited to meet all these cool new people. We're all passionate about similar things but all have different backgrounds. So I'm really excited to learn from them and work together to do good things for Zambia in sustainable ways. BUT, it's still pretty surreal that I'm finally going. Thursday morning I'll actually be in Africa.

This morning we got up early for our first round of shots. Yellow fever and H1N1. Not bad. Then a group of us went to see the Liberty Bell and get Philly cheesesteak for lunch, leaving me very satisfied with my first Philadelphia experience.

This afternoon we had our first Peace Corps meetings. Not too intense, expectations, goals and anxieties, the 10 core expectations of Peace Corps, and logistics for our travel tonight. A big group of us went out for delicious Italian food for our last meal; I chose eggplant parm. Tasty.

Now I'm about to get all my stuff organized and ready to travel. We have to be ready at 1:30am and leave on our bus at 2am, drive to JFK (which takes ~3 hours), and our flight leaves at 10:30am. So I think we should have plenty of time to get through security. I'm going to try to shower as late as possible so I can be clean as long as possible. I'm pretty tired right now, but I don't know if I'll get a nap before it's time to get ready to go. Our 15 hour flight gets into Johannesburg Thursday morning, and we're in Zambia by 12:30pm local time, 5:30am Central. Then it's the real deal.

So that's it! Last night in America and I'm pretty excited to get started on my adventure. Peace out!

7 comments:

Well-Sugared woman said...

hope traveling goes smoothly!!!

Laurie said...

Gonna miss you, Blair!! So excited for you!

Unknown said...

Love it... hope you made it safe!

Claire said...

Thinking about you a lot, girlie. Do good and be SAFE!

Judy said...

Can't wait to hear about what the country is really like, be safe!

Brooke Privett said...

Blair!! Ken and I had our first disagreement today, and I thought an answer from you would solve all the world's problems. Okay, in a mud hut, do you put the toilet paper on the holder using the "over" method or the "under" method? I need to know now!

Blair said...

hmmm, there's not exactly a tp holder, so it lives in a plastic bag. but if there were, it would be over.